2008 Nissan Quest 4dr Base
Nissan has toned down the futuristic styling of its Quest, a Space Age design that tried to go where no other minivan had gone before.
Actually, it reminds me of when General Motors adopted a wild and wedge look for its divisions' minivans in the 1990s, which resulted in unfortunate but inevitable comparisons to Dust Busters.
Quest was pretty far out when it arrived as a redesigned 2008 model, with a swooping body style and Star Trek dashboard. The idea was to make domesticated minivans seem cool again.
Well, maybe a little too cool, Nissan design director Shiro Nakamura acknowledged after witnessing Quest's ensuing sales slump. "The Quest needs to have more warmth."
Revamped for 2007, Used Nissan Quest retains its distinctive shape, although with slightly more subdued grille and trim. The interior is where the big changes were made, especially the removal of a center-mounted "tower" gauge cluster that seemed more architectural than automotive.
Now, Nissan Quest drivers are treated to a traditional view of the gauges, right in front of them, with the controls and switch gear changed back to standard practice.
Otherwise, Nissan Quest continues as a nice-driving minivan with plenty of admirable features and few complaints. Power, ride and handling are above reproach, and the little people in the back seats also should find plenty to appreciate. The test used Nissan Quest was fitted with optional flat-folding middle and rear seats that create a broad cargo area.
As for softening the restyle, at least Nissan took a chance with its erstwhile Nissan Quest concept rather than just following the design herd.
The lesson, though, could be that minivan owners are a conservative breed who tend to be more practical than adventurous.
Vehicle type: Seven-passenger minivan, front-wheel drive.
Engine: 3.5-liter V-6, 235 horsepower at 5,800 rpm, 240 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm.
Nissan boasts that the throttle and transmission have been re calibrated to give a boost in power off the line, but I found the initial throttle input to be harshly abrupt.
Fuel mileage is fair, about average for this class of heavy people movers.
Used Nissan Quest's firm suspension is a welcome change from the soft and wallowing ride of some competitors' minivans. The Nissan handles predictably with good steering response while maintaining a cushioning ride.
The top-drawer SE test model came with a grocery list of safety, drivability and convenience features, including full side-impact air bags; four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock and force distribution; electronic stability control; traction control; full power features; reading lights; and 10 cup holders.
- 3.5L DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
- 5-speed automatic transmission
- Front wheel drive
- Independent strut front suspension
- Multi-link rear suspension
- Front/rear stabilizer bars
- P225/65R16 tires
- 16" steel wheels w/full wheel covers
- Pwr rack-&-pinion steering
- Pwr 4-wheel vented disc brakes
- Body-color bumpers
- Rear bumper step pad
- Body-color side moldings
- Halogen headlights
- Cornering lights
- Solar glass front windows w/rear privacy glass
- Pwr outside mirrors
- Speed-sensitive variable intermittent windshield wipers
- Intermittent rear windshield wiper w/washer
- Manual RH & LH sliding rear doors
- Chrome door handles
- Manual rear liftgate
- Rear window defogger
- Fold-down center tray for front row
- Full floor carpeting
- Tilt steering column
- Vehicle info center w/trip computer
- Tire pressure monitoring system w/position monitor
- Pwr front windows w/one-touch driver up/down & reverse feature
- Manual 3rd-row vent windows
- Pwr fuel door release
- Cruise control w/illuminated steering wheel mounted controls
- Engine immobilizer
- Security alarm system
- Auxiliary input jack
- In-glass diversity antenna
- Front seatback map pockets
- Day/night rearview mirror
- Map pockets & bottle holder in each sliding door
- (10) cup holders
- (1) high capacity garment hook
- Driver/front passenger visor vanity mirrors
- B-pillar assist grips
- 1st row mood lighting
- 2nd & 3rd row reading lights
- (4) 12-volt pwr outlets
- Driver & front passenger dual stage front airbags w/occupancy sensor
- Front seat side-impact airbags
- Roof-mounted side curtain airbags for all rows
- 3-point front seat belts-inc: adjustable upper anchors, pretensioners, & load limiters
- 3-point rear seat belts
- Child safety rear door locks
- Energy absorbing steering column
- Front/rear crumple zones
- Active head restraints